Kathryn Millist-Spendlove (she/her), Registered Counsellor
Kathryn is a registered counsellor specialising in:
Interpersonal Trauma (sexual abuse, sexual assault, physical abuse, emotional abuse and spiritual abuse)
Perinatal psychology (birth trauma, transition to parenting, sexual rediscovery, infertility and miscarriage/stillbirth)
Counselling for Lawyers and Legal Professionals
She is a former lawyer who has worked as a solicitor, barrister and in-house counsel. Her move into counselling came following years of practice in Abuse Law working for survivors of sexual abuse.
Kathryn holds qualifications in law and psychology. She completed a Master of Counselling with Distinction by research. Kathryn is currently completing a Graduate Diploma of Science in Medicine (Sexual and Reproductive Health (Psychosexual Therapy) through the University of Sydney.
She previously worked as a counsellor and program facilitator within the prison system, before moving to work in the domestic violence sector.
Kathryn uses a trauma-informed integrated modality of counselling, including neurobiology, somatic therapies and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. She is also a Trauma Sensitive Yoga practitioner, Certified Shark Cage© Facilitator, and specialist infertility counsellor.
She is in the process of creating training programs on trauma-informed practice for allied health professionals, and vicarious trauma for vulnerable professional industries, such as the legal profession.
Qualifications and Memberships:
Masters of Counselling (with Distinction)
Graduate Diploma of Counselling (with Distinction)
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
Bachelor of Law (Honours)
Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
Graduate Diploma in Science in Medicine (Sexual and Reproductive Health) in Psychosexual Therapy (due to be completed in 2024)
Level 2 Member of the Australian Counselling Association
Member of Fertility Specialists in Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ)
Provisional Member of the Australian and New Zealand Infertility Counsellors Association (ANZICA)
- Centre of Perinatal Excellence (COPE) - Basic Skills in Perinatal Mental Health - 25 October 2022
- Psychwire - ACT for Grief and Loss - completed 21 June 2022
- Psychwire - ACT for Beginners - completed 15 March 2022
- Australian Childhood Foundation – Trauma Responsive Practice with Children – 18 November 2021
- TCTSY - Foundational Training in Trauma Center Trauma Sensitive Yoga - 15-17 October 2021
- Australian Childhood Foundation – Therapeutic work with children and young people in the online space – a trauma responsive approach – 23 September 2021
- Australian Childhood Foundation – Supporting Children and Young People to heal from trauma of family violence – 9 September 2021
- Fighting Fair (Scott Dutton) – Artistry of Facilitation: Training Small Groups – Virtually! – 14 July 2021
- Blueknot – Trauma Informed Care and Practice when working with Domestic and Family Violence (Level 1) – 18 March 2021 OPD
- Ursula Benstead – Shark Cage© Training: A practical framework for address vulnerability and re-victimisation in women who are victims of abuse and domestic violence – 19 February 2021
- DV Alert – Multicultural workshop (CHCDFV001) – 16-17 March 2021 OPD
- Child Safe Organisations – National Principles for Child Safe Organisations e-learning modules – Introduction and Principles 1-10 – 21 January 2021 – 8 February 2021
- NAPCAN – Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention/Mandatory Reporting Workshop – QLD – 30 January 2021
Counselling Practice Areas and Treatment Modalities
Sexual Abuse and Sexual Assault
Domestic and Family Violence
Infertility, Miscarriage and Stillbirth
Supportive counselling for fertility treatment and mandatory donor counselling
Counselling for Lawyers and other Legal Professionals
Matrescence (transition to motherhood)
Patrescence (transition to fatherhood)
Grief and Loss
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Health Insurance Rebates
Why we don't offer Medicare rebates
Counselling services are not currently covered by Medicare. But there are some benefits to this, and it doesn't necessarily mean that counselling will cost you more than other services.
Group Therapy, Trauma Sensitive Yoga and Training Programs
We are in the process of setting up the following additional services:
Group therapy programs
Trauma Sensitive Yoga sessions
Trauma-informed training for allied health professionals
Vicarious trauma training for corporate and professional organisations
If you are interested in any of these services, please send through an expression of interest so we can keep you posted as these services become available.